"/>

      亚洲аv天堂无码,久久aⅴ无码一区二区三区,96免费精品视频在线观看,国产2021精品视频免费播放,国产喷水在线观看,奇米影视久久777中文字幕 ,日韩在线免费,91spa国产无码
      News Analysis: Experts say Korean Peninsula likely to remain quiet as Olympics kick off
      Source: Xinhua   2018-02-09 11:42:54

      by Matthew Rusling

      WASHINGTON, Feb. 8 (Xinhua) -- Despite a war of words between Washington and Pyongyang in recent months, experts say it is likely to remain quiet on the Korean Peninsula as the Winter Olympics in South Korea kick off Friday.

      Despite concerns that the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK)could have upset the Winter Olympics, "the odds (of that happening) were always very low," Troy Stangarone, senior director at the Washington-based Korea Economic Institute, told Xinhua.

      "Conducting a major (weapons) test or trying to disrupt the Games would have ... only increased the pressure" on the DPRK, he added.

      In the months leading up to the 2018 Winter Games, to be held in South Korea's eastern county of PyeongChang between Feb. 9 and 25, some U.S. media and analysts had worried over whether the DPRK would test any missiles during the Olympics, as Pyongyang had conducted a slew of missile tests last year.

      Now that the DPRK has agreed to not disrupt the Games, it is under pressure to keep its word, Stangarone added.

      Douglas Paal, vice president for studies at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace -- also based in Washington -- echoed some of those sentiments, arguing that it is in DPRK leader Kim Jong Un's strategic interest to remain cool during the Games.

      "The Games and the propaganda platform they give Kim are useful in fomenting splits in the South about the alliance with the U.S.," Paal told Xinhua.

      "So (Kim) has every interest in offering the possibility of reducing tensions while the world has its eyes on Korea," Paal added.

      For his part, U.S. President Donald Trump is also expected to keep a cooler-than-usual head during the Olympics.

      Trump and Kim have in recent months been engaged in a war of words, with Kim threatening that he has a nuclear device that could hit the United States. Trump has warned Kim that attacking the nation that is home to the world's most powerful military would be the worst mistake Pyongyang could make.

      In his State of the Union address on Jan. 30, Trump said he would exert "maximum pressure" on the DPRK.

      But in the run-up to the Games, tensions seem to have subsided for now. Yet, experts said the battle of words could pick up at a later point, once the Games have concluded.

      Experts said Trump has refrained from his usual bombastic statements in a bid to give space to South Korean President Moon Jae-in to engage with the DPRK over the Olympics. Additionally, neither Trump nor Kim will want to be seen as the reason for tensions rising during the Olympics.

      Many U.S. experts have said there's a strategy behind the DPRK's participation in the Olympics.

      Stangarone contended that by engaging with South Korea over the Olympics, the DPRK has multiple objectives. With sanctions taking hold, Pyongyang needs to find ways to reduce tensions and relieve pressure.

      "Whether this is through dividing the alliance, or merely convincing the world that it is a responsible nuclear power, it hopes that in doing so it will normalize its nuclear program so it can push for sanctions relief without having to negotiate on its weapons programs," Stangarone said.

      While the United States sees Kim's nuclear program as unacceptable, analysts have said Pyongyang believes the only key to survival is nuclear weapons.

      Experts have noted that Kim and his father, the late Kim Jong Il, watched as strongmen in Libya and Iraq were toppled by the United States. Kim does not want to see his government overthrown by Washington, and believes nuclear weapons are his only ticket to survival.

      Recent weeks have seen Washington slap more sanctions on Pyongyang, in a bid to get the DPRK to abandon its nuclear weapons program.

      Meanwhile, though, Trump has also expressed openness toward direct talks with the DPRK and optimism about the warming relations between the two Koreas, as the two neighbors have been engaged in a number of projects to promote the Winter Olympics in recent weeks.

      However, U.S. media reports have said that the White House is not ruling out a so-called "bloody nose" -- a targeted strike aimed at destroying the DPRK's nuclear weapons facilities.

      Editor: Yurou
      Related News
      Xinhuanet

      News Analysis: Experts say Korean Peninsula likely to remain quiet as Olympics kick off

      Source: Xinhua 2018-02-09 11:42:54
      [Editor: huaxia]

      by Matthew Rusling

      WASHINGTON, Feb. 8 (Xinhua) -- Despite a war of words between Washington and Pyongyang in recent months, experts say it is likely to remain quiet on the Korean Peninsula as the Winter Olympics in South Korea kick off Friday.

      Despite concerns that the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK)could have upset the Winter Olympics, "the odds (of that happening) were always very low," Troy Stangarone, senior director at the Washington-based Korea Economic Institute, told Xinhua.

      "Conducting a major (weapons) test or trying to disrupt the Games would have ... only increased the pressure" on the DPRK, he added.

      In the months leading up to the 2018 Winter Games, to be held in South Korea's eastern county of PyeongChang between Feb. 9 and 25, some U.S. media and analysts had worried over whether the DPRK would test any missiles during the Olympics, as Pyongyang had conducted a slew of missile tests last year.

      Now that the DPRK has agreed to not disrupt the Games, it is under pressure to keep its word, Stangarone added.

      Douglas Paal, vice president for studies at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace -- also based in Washington -- echoed some of those sentiments, arguing that it is in DPRK leader Kim Jong Un's strategic interest to remain cool during the Games.

      "The Games and the propaganda platform they give Kim are useful in fomenting splits in the South about the alliance with the U.S.," Paal told Xinhua.

      "So (Kim) has every interest in offering the possibility of reducing tensions while the world has its eyes on Korea," Paal added.

      For his part, U.S. President Donald Trump is also expected to keep a cooler-than-usual head during the Olympics.

      Trump and Kim have in recent months been engaged in a war of words, with Kim threatening that he has a nuclear device that could hit the United States. Trump has warned Kim that attacking the nation that is home to the world's most powerful military would be the worst mistake Pyongyang could make.

      In his State of the Union address on Jan. 30, Trump said he would exert "maximum pressure" on the DPRK.

      But in the run-up to the Games, tensions seem to have subsided for now. Yet, experts said the battle of words could pick up at a later point, once the Games have concluded.

      Experts said Trump has refrained from his usual bombastic statements in a bid to give space to South Korean President Moon Jae-in to engage with the DPRK over the Olympics. Additionally, neither Trump nor Kim will want to be seen as the reason for tensions rising during the Olympics.

      Many U.S. experts have said there's a strategy behind the DPRK's participation in the Olympics.

      Stangarone contended that by engaging with South Korea over the Olympics, the DPRK has multiple objectives. With sanctions taking hold, Pyongyang needs to find ways to reduce tensions and relieve pressure.

      "Whether this is through dividing the alliance, or merely convincing the world that it is a responsible nuclear power, it hopes that in doing so it will normalize its nuclear program so it can push for sanctions relief without having to negotiate on its weapons programs," Stangarone said.

      While the United States sees Kim's nuclear program as unacceptable, analysts have said Pyongyang believes the only key to survival is nuclear weapons.

      Experts have noted that Kim and his father, the late Kim Jong Il, watched as strongmen in Libya and Iraq were toppled by the United States. Kim does not want to see his government overthrown by Washington, and believes nuclear weapons are his only ticket to survival.

      Recent weeks have seen Washington slap more sanctions on Pyongyang, in a bid to get the DPRK to abandon its nuclear weapons program.

      Meanwhile, though, Trump has also expressed openness toward direct talks with the DPRK and optimism about the warming relations between the two Koreas, as the two neighbors have been engaged in a number of projects to promote the Winter Olympics in recent weeks.

      However, U.S. media reports have said that the White House is not ruling out a so-called "bloody nose" -- a targeted strike aimed at destroying the DPRK's nuclear weapons facilities.

      [Editor: huaxia]
      010020070750000000000000011100001369617971
      主站蜘蛛池模板: 美女裸体无遮挡免费视频的网站| 亚洲处破女 www| 国产91九色在线观看| 中文字幕亚洲一区一区| 亚洲妇女av一区二区| 丰满少妇一区二区三区专区| 国产精品亚洲综合天堂夜夜| 北岛玲精品一区二区三区| 国产高清天干天天视频| 久久99精品久久只有精品| 黑人玩弄漂亮少妇高潮大叫| 精品囯产成人国产在线观看| 99久久综合国产精品免费| 精品一区二区三区四区少妇| 不卡免费av在线高清| 中文字幕无码免费久久99| 亚洲精品无码国产片| 国产亚洲日韩一区二区三区| 粉嫩一区二区三区国产精品| 亚洲精品一区二区在线播| 亚欧乱色束缚一区二区三区| 亚洲熟女乱综合一区二区三区| 亚洲国产一区二区三区视频在线 | 久久精品国产亚洲精品2020| 日本精品一区二区三区在线视频| 无码中文字幕AV免费放软件| 甘泉县| 国产不卡一区二区三区视频| 巨熟乳波霸若妻中文观看免费| 亚洲欧美国产va在线播放| 一区二区免费视频中文乱码| 察哈| 亚洲av色香蕉一区二区三区蜜桃 | 亚洲国产精品婷婷久久久久| 99久久亚洲精品加勒比| 国产激情一区二区三区在线蜜臀| 亚洲精品一区二区制服| 久久精品国产久精国产一老狼| 美腿丝袜亚洲综合第一页| 蜜桃视频中文在线观看| 又色又爽又高潮免费观看|