亚洲аv天堂无码,久久aⅴ无码一区二区三区,96免费精品视频在线观看,国产2021精品视频免费播放,国产喷水在线观看,奇米影视久久777中文字幕 ,日韩在线免费,91spa国产无码
      Africa  

      UN agencies warn 7 mln people in S. Sudan at risk of rising hunger

      Source: Xinhua   2018-02-26 19:13:03

      JUBA, Feb. 26 (Xinhua) -- Three UN agencies on Monday warned that 7 million people in South Sudan are at risk of rising hunger in the coming months unless assistance and access are maintained.

      The Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), the UN Children's Fund (UNICEF) and the World Food Program (WFP) also warned that progress made to prevent people from dying of hunger could be undone.

      "If this happens, this will be the highest ever number of food insecure people in South Sudan. The period of greatest risk will be the lean season, between May and July," the UN agencies warned in a joint statement issued in Juba.

      According to an Integrated Food Security Phase Classification (IPC) report released on Monday, some 5.3 million people were already struggling in January to find enough food each day and were in "crisis" or "emergency" levels of food insecurity.

      This represents a 40 percent increase in the number of severely food insecure people compared to January 2017.

      According to the agencies, some 155,000 people, including 29,000 children, who could suffer from the most extreme levels of hunger, are particularly at risk.

      Serge Tissot, FAO Representative in South Sudan, warned that the food security situation is extremely fragile, adding that another famine is imminent.

      "The projections are stark. If we ignore them, we will be faced with a growing tragedy. If farmers receive support to resume their livelihoods, we will see a rapid improvement in the country's food security situation due to increased local production," Tissot said.

      The report comes one year after famine was declared in parts of South Sudan in February 2017 but improved access and a massive humanitarian response succeeded in containing and averting famine later last year.

      Despite this, said the UN agencies, the food insecurity outlook has never been so dire as it is now.

      "The situation is deteriorating with each year of conflict as more people lose the little they had. We are alarmed as the lean season when the harvest runs out is expected to start this year much earlier than usual," said Adnan Khan, WFP Representative and Country Director.

      "Unless we can pre-position assistance rather than mount a more costly response during the rains, more families will struggle to survive," Khan warned.

      The report says overall hunger levels have risen due to protracted conflict that led to reduced food production and constantly disrupted livelihoods.

      This, the report says, was further exacerbated by economic collapse, which impacted markets and trade, making them unable to compensate for the decrease in local food production.

      "Prolonged dry spells, flooding and continued pest infestation, such as Fall Armyworm, have also had a damaging impact," it says.

      In areas like Unity, Jonglei, Upper Nile, and Central Equatoria, riddled by reoccurring outbreaks of violent conflict and displacement, the proportion of people suffering from extreme food insecurity ranges from 52 to 62 percent -- more than half the states' combined population.

      The number is expected to keep increasing unless people find the means to receive, produce or buy their own food.

      The report says conflict and worsening hunger have led to already soaring rates of malnutrition. Without assistance, as of May, more than 1.3 million children under five will be at risk of acute malnutrition.

      Mahimbo Mdoe, UNICEF's Representative in South Sudan said they are preparing for rates of severe malnutrition among children never before seen in this country.

      "Without an urgent response and access to those most in need, many children will die. We cannot allow that to happen," Mdoe added.

      Editor: Yurou
      Related News
      Home >> Africa            
      Xinhuanet

      UN agencies warn 7 mln people in S. Sudan at risk of rising hunger

      Source: Xinhua 2018-02-26 19:13:03

      JUBA, Feb. 26 (Xinhua) -- Three UN agencies on Monday warned that 7 million people in South Sudan are at risk of rising hunger in the coming months unless assistance and access are maintained.

      The Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), the UN Children's Fund (UNICEF) and the World Food Program (WFP) also warned that progress made to prevent people from dying of hunger could be undone.

      "If this happens, this will be the highest ever number of food insecure people in South Sudan. The period of greatest risk will be the lean season, between May and July," the UN agencies warned in a joint statement issued in Juba.

      According to an Integrated Food Security Phase Classification (IPC) report released on Monday, some 5.3 million people were already struggling in January to find enough food each day and were in "crisis" or "emergency" levels of food insecurity.

      This represents a 40 percent increase in the number of severely food insecure people compared to January 2017.

      According to the agencies, some 155,000 people, including 29,000 children, who could suffer from the most extreme levels of hunger, are particularly at risk.

      Serge Tissot, FAO Representative in South Sudan, warned that the food security situation is extremely fragile, adding that another famine is imminent.

      "The projections are stark. If we ignore them, we will be faced with a growing tragedy. If farmers receive support to resume their livelihoods, we will see a rapid improvement in the country's food security situation due to increased local production," Tissot said.

      The report comes one year after famine was declared in parts of South Sudan in February 2017 but improved access and a massive humanitarian response succeeded in containing and averting famine later last year.

      Despite this, said the UN agencies, the food insecurity outlook has never been so dire as it is now.

      "The situation is deteriorating with each year of conflict as more people lose the little they had. We are alarmed as the lean season when the harvest runs out is expected to start this year much earlier than usual," said Adnan Khan, WFP Representative and Country Director.

      "Unless we can pre-position assistance rather than mount a more costly response during the rains, more families will struggle to survive," Khan warned.

      The report says overall hunger levels have risen due to protracted conflict that led to reduced food production and constantly disrupted livelihoods.

      This, the report says, was further exacerbated by economic collapse, which impacted markets and trade, making them unable to compensate for the decrease in local food production.

      "Prolonged dry spells, flooding and continued pest infestation, such as Fall Armyworm, have also had a damaging impact," it says.

      In areas like Unity, Jonglei, Upper Nile, and Central Equatoria, riddled by reoccurring outbreaks of violent conflict and displacement, the proportion of people suffering from extreme food insecurity ranges from 52 to 62 percent -- more than half the states' combined population.

      The number is expected to keep increasing unless people find the means to receive, produce or buy their own food.

      The report says conflict and worsening hunger have led to already soaring rates of malnutrition. Without assistance, as of May, more than 1.3 million children under five will be at risk of acute malnutrition.

      Mahimbo Mdoe, UNICEF's Representative in South Sudan said they are preparing for rates of severe malnutrition among children never before seen in this country.

      "Without an urgent response and access to those most in need, many children will die. We cannot allow that to happen," Mdoe added.

      [Editor: huaxia]
      010020070750000000000000011100001370012911
      主站蜘蛛池模板: 7723日本高清完整版在线观看| 欧美性受xxxx狂喷水| 中文字幕在线人妻视频| 97国产精品麻豆性色| 日韩精品免费在线视频| 婷婷国产亚洲性色av网站| 日本欧美午夜| 日韩精品视频免费久久| 加勒比熟女精品一区二区av| 久久精品国产亚洲精品2020| 亚洲国产成人无码av在线播放| 最新69国产成人精品视频| 一区二区久久精品66国产精品| 亚洲一区二区三区99区| 国产精品露脸3p普通话| 欧美色图50p| www插插插无码视频网站| 久久精品午夜视频| 色婷婷一区二区三区四区| 一本色道久久亚洲综合精品蜜桃| 手机AV片在线| 亚洲爱婷婷色69堂| 日韩成人免费在线视频| 高潮喷水无遮挡毛片视频| 成人无码区免费AⅤ片WWW| 色吊丝av中文字幕| 久久99久久99精品中文字幕| 娇妻粗大高潮白浆| 一区二区三区av在线观看| 无码中文字幕久久久久久| 欧美丰满老熟妇aaaa片| 亚洲国产欧美国产综合久久| 国产 无码 日韩| 久久这里只有精品黄色| 亚洲亚洲亚洲亚洲亚洲天堂| a在线视频v视频| 国产成年无码AⅤ片日日爱| 无码天堂亚洲国产av麻豆| 精品人妻二区中文字幕| 欧美性一区| 革吉县|