亚洲аv天堂无码,久久aⅴ无码一区二区三区,96免费精品视频在线观看,国产2021精品视频免费播放,国产喷水在线观看,奇米影视久久777中文字幕 ,日韩在线免费,91spa国产无码

      News Analysis: U.S. exit from Syria appeases Turkey, but irks Kurdish forces

      Source: Xinhua| 2018-12-21 04:20:06|Editor: Yamei
      Video PlayerClose

      by Burak Akinci

      ANKARA, Dec. 20 (Xinhua) -- U.S. President Donald Trump's unexpected move to withdraw U.S. troops from war-torn Syria would largely appease NATO ally Turkey, who is ready to launch an offensive against U.S.-backed Kurdish fighters there, said local experts.

      The U.S. move came as tensions increase sharply between Washington and Ankara as the latter vowed to wage a military operation against the Kurdish People's Protection Units (YPG) fighters, who will be the first to suffer from the loss of U.S. backing.

      Trump, who declared victory on the militant group Islamic State (IS) in Syria, held a phone call with Turkish counterpart Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Dec. 14 to try to head off a Turkish attack which could have put U.S. troops in the crossfire.

      "There are many implications, but regarding the U.S.-Turkey ties, it will dissipate the most destructive factor in the partnership between the NATO allies," which is the presence of Kurdish fighters in northeastern Syria that Ankara sees as an threat, Sinan Ulgen, a former diplomat who chairs the Istanbul-based Center for Economics and Foreign Policy Studies (EDAM), told Xinhua.

      Ulgen argued that the U.S. move, which is expected but still surprising because of its timing, would have multiple effects on the Syrian crisis. But for Turkey, the exit will cause the YPG to weaken politically and militarily without the U.S. support on the ground.

      Erdogan promised last week to crush the Kurdish positions east of the Euphrates river, increasing the risk of a much-dreaded confrontation between soldiers of two major NATO allies.

      Such a clash would create a geopolitical crisis at the heart of the world's most powerful military alliance.

      The U.S. has a fairly small contingent of about 2,000 troops in Syria, many of them are special operations forces working closely with an alliance of Kurdish and Arab militias known as the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF).

      The partnership with the SDF over the past several years helped defeat IS in Syria but outraged Turkey, which views YPG as an extension of the militant group, the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK), which has been fighting for autonomy in Turkey's souteast.

      The U.S. decision will undoubtedly free the embattled U.S.-Turkey relationship from a major burden, the U.S. support for the YPG, Serkan Demirtas, a Turkish political analyst and journalist, told Xinhua.

      "It's a move that relieves this partnership, a big problem seems now out of the way," commented Demirtas, the Ankara bureau chief of Hurriyet Daily News.

      Both Demirtas and Ulgen also pointed out that Turkey could possibly delay or modify its plan for an incursion into northeast Syria to wipe out the YPG militia there in light of Trump's decision which caught his own administration off guard.

      On Thursday, Turkish Defense Minister Hulusi Akar said that his country was preparing "intensively for a counter-terrorism military operation" in Syria and warned that Kurdish fighters will be "buried in the trenches they dug," state-run Anadolu Agency reported.

      While experts believe that the U.S. withdrawal from Syria would potentially cede control to Turkey, resolving tensions between the two NATO allies.

      But, they expressed that concern that the U.S. pullout would create a vacuum in northeastern Syria, where IS has the potential to re-group and re-emerge.

      "There are many groups that would want to penetrate the field that the U.S. leave behind, such as IS-linked groups and other radical factions," Demirtas said, warning of a "new chaotic situation" in Syria which shares a 900 km border with Turkey.

      This expert also pointed out in the direction of a possible larger U.S.-Turkey understanding on Syria, relaying some unconfirmed reports that the Turkish leader has assured his American counterpart that Turkey could play a bigger role in neutralizing IS in Syria, taking this troublesome load of U.S. soldiers' shoulders.

      Ankara and Washington have tried in recent months to seek reconciliation after years of bitter squabbling on different issues. The differences over Syria was at the heart of their disagreement.

      "The U.S. decision of an exit seems based on its desperation to avert a Turkish offensive and the risk to loose Turkey altogether," commented international relations professor Hasan Unal from the Maltepe University.

      He also underlined that this "very favorable move" would aim to bring the U.S. and Turkey closer to each other, and keep Ankara's distance from Russia, a major military player in Syria.

      Just hours after Trump's Syria announcement, the U.S. approved a 3.5-billion-U.S. dollar sale of Patriot missile systems to Turkey. Washington hopes that this sale would replace the S-400 missile system that Turkey has vowed to acquire from Russia, despite the NATO opposition.

      TOP STORIES
      EDITOR’S CHOICE
      MOST VIEWED
      EXPLORE XINHUANET
      010020070750000000000000011103261376881211
      主站蜘蛛池模板: 在线精品亚洲一区二区绿巨人| 激情无码人妻又粗又大中国人| 国产粉嫩粉嫩的18在线播放91| 国产免码VA在线观看免费| 久久亚洲国产精品婷婷| 影音先锋人妻啪啪av资源网站| 久久er99热精品一区二区| 九九视频免费精品视频| 久久老熟女一区二区蜜臀| 国产精品久久福利网站| 日本不卡一区二区高清中文 | 亚洲一区二区三区免费av在线| 国产精品久久一区性色a| 福利片免费 亚洲| 淳化县| 99久久精品一区二区毛片吞精 | 许昌市| 蜜桃av噜噜一区二区三区香| 天天躁日日操狠狠操欧美老妇| www.日本一区| 亚洲国产97在线精品一区| 亚洲国产成人精品毛片九色| 91精品全国免费观看青青| 调教女m屁股撅虐调教| 久久精品国产亚洲av高清3p| 久久精品久久免费懂色| 亚洲中文字幕播放视频| 日韩av在线不卡观看| 亚洲国产成人精品激情| 国产亚洲精品第一综合| 聚色我要色综合| 午夜福利国产片在线视频| 国产后入内射在线观看| 国产亚洲一区二区三区夜夜骚| 国产免费自拍av一区| 国产丰满乱子伦无码专| 精品国产福利一区二区| 无码精品国产VA在线观看DVD| 日本女优中文字幕看片 | 人人人妻人人澡人人爽欧美一区| 国产成人高清精品亚洲|