亚洲аv天堂无码,久久aⅴ无码一区二区三区,96免费精品视频在线观看,国产2021精品视频免费播放,国产喷水在线观看,奇米影视久久777中文字幕 ,日韩在线免费,91spa国产无码

      Spotlight: Ankara-Washington deal on safe zone in Syria highly unlikely: analysts

      Source: Xinhua| 2019-08-03 21:01:30|Editor: Wu Qin
      Video PlayerClose

      ISTANBUL, Aug. 3 (Xinhua) -- As Turkey threatens a cross-border military operation against U.S.-backed Kurdish militia in Syria, chances for a Turkish intervention as well as for Ankara and Washington to compromise on a security zone are quite low, analysts told Xinhua.

      "The possibility for the two countries to reach a deal (on a security zone) is near zero," maintained Haldun Solmazturk, a former general in the Turkish military.

      Turkey has long negotiated, so far with no result, with the U.S. to jointly create a safe zone on the Syrian side of its border which is controlled by the Kurdish militia, the People's Protection Units (YPG).

      Ankara sees a YPG-controlled area along its border as an existential threat, fearing the emergence of an autonomous Kurdish zone in Syria may set a precedent for its own nearly 20 million Kurds.

      "It's not possible to reconcile Ankara's expectations about the security zone with those of Washington," argued Solmazturk, who chairs the Incek debates at the Ankara-based 21st Century Turkey Institute.

      "Despite the ongoing negotiations, prospects for an agreement on the creation of a safe zone are dim," said Faruk Logoglu, a former senior diplomat.

      Amid differences with Washington over the security zone, Ankara has reinforced forces along the YPG-controlled part of the border.

      Turkey sees the YPG as the Syrian offshoot of the outlawed Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK), which has been fighting for an autonomous, if not independent, Kurdistan in Turkey's predominantly Kurdish southeast.

      U.S. special envoy for Syria James Jeffrey, who held talks in Ankara around ten days ago, said on Thursday that no deal on safe zone had been reached.

      Turkey will move to establish the safe zone on its own in case the talks with the U.S. fail, Turkey's Foreign Ministry spokesman Hami Aksoy said on Friday.

      Aksoy's warning came just as a U.S. military delegation is scheduled to arrive in the Turkish capital on Sunday for a new round of talks.

      However, both analysts are skeptical about a Turkish military intervention to drive out the YPG as such a move would be highly unsustainable militarily and politically.

      "I feel the probability of such an operation is less than one percent," said Solmazturk. "The Turkish military is already overstretched."

      Under the so-called Astana deal with Russia and Iran, Turkey has some troops stationed in Syria's Idlib, the last major rebel bastion, to monitor a failing truce between the rebels and the Syrian army.

      Following a failed coup in 2016, a total of around 17,000 officers, non-commissioned officers and enlisted personnel have been kicked out of the Turkish military for their alleged links to an organization accused of masterminding the coup attempt.

      The Turkish military has also been conducting operations at home and in neighboring Iraq against the PKK.

      Ankara may well feel justified to proceed on its own to establish a safe zone, but such a probability is rather dim although it cannot be ruled out altogether, remarked Logoglu.

      "Without the accord of the Syrian government or a mandate from the UN Security Council, it would be hard for Turkey to maintain and sustain a safe zone," he said.

      The Syrian government has strongly condemned the attempt to create a safe zone, describing the move as an assault on Syria's sovereignty.

      Both analysts also underlined that a military intervention would meet with opposition not only from the United States and its coalition partners in Syria like France and Britain, but also from Russia and Iran.

      The Turkey-backed Free Syrian Army (FSA) units are expected to play a significant role in a potential operation against the Kurdish militia.

      "The FSA does not have the capacity to conduct an operation over such a large area," remarked Solmazturk. "Turkey's attitude is no more than saber-rattling."

      The FSA fighters joined past operations of the Turkish military, in which Syria's al-Bab and Afrin regions, both near Idlib, were captured from the Islamic State and the Kurdish militia respectively.

      The area the Kurdish militia controls in northeastern Syria, composed of two self-declared autonomous cantons, stretches around 450 km along the Turkish border.

      A Turkish intervention would risk a confrontation with the United States as well, as the U.S. special envoy once again underlined on Thursday that Washington would protect its partner YPG against an attack.

      The United States, which has over 12 military bases on the YPG-held territory, used the militia as a ground force against the Islamic State in Syria.

      The Turkish and U.S. views about the security zone differ considerably.

      Turkey wants the safe zone to go as deep as 32 kilometers into Kurdish-held territory and insists that it should be controlled by the Turkish military.

      According to the reported U.S. proposal, the safe zone should be no bigger than 5 to 14 km in depth and in most places has a depth of only 5-6 km.

      The United States does not, according to local media, agree to a full Turkish control over the zone, where the YPG militia will be made to leave.

      Instead, it proposes that observation posts be put up at several places along the security zone where Turkish soldiers would serve with troops from the U.S.-led coalition forces in Syria and conduct joint patrols in the area.

      The United States also reportedly suggests that people from local tribes, toward which Ankara has no hostile attitude, may have a role in maintaining security in the safe zone.

      For Logoglu, the width of the proposed safe zone and the question of who should secure it are ultimately secondary details.

      "The core issue is Turkey wants the zone as a protection against the YPG, whereas Washington views it as a means to protect the YPG against Turkey," he said.

      Fearful that Washington may be seeking to carve out a Kurdish state in Syria, Turkey has much criticized its NATO ally for its huge supply of weapons to the YPG during the Syrian war.

      Ankara also demands that the YPG forces hand over weapons when they leave the security zone.

      The analysts underlined that Ankara needs to cooperate with the Syrian government, which it sees as illegitimate until now, to fight against the emergence of a Kurdish state in northeastern Syria.

      "The governing guideline for Turkey must always be the preservation of Syria's sovereignty and its territorial integrity, because a stable and safe Syria is the best and enduring guarantee for Turkey's security," stated Logoglu.

      A Kurdish state has de facto been established in Syria by the U.S.-led coalition and Washington is simply trying to talk Ankara into accepting it through negotiations, commented Solmazturk.

      The only way out of the impasse is to start dialogue with Damascus while respecting its sovereignty and territorial integrity, he said.

      TOP STORIES
      EDITOR’S CHOICE
      MOST VIEWED
      EXPLORE XINHUANET
      010020070750000000000000011100001382814201
      主站蜘蛛池模板: 国产精品亚洲二区在线看| 国产女人精品视频国产灰线| 日韩免费高清视频网站| 家庭乱码伦区中文字幕在线| 久久99国产亚洲高清| 亚州性无码不卡免费视频| 精品无码AV无码专区| 亚洲av日韩av一区久久| 天堂AV无码大芭蕉伊人AV不卡| 少妇人妻互换不带套| 国内精品久久久久久无码不卡| 国产欧美国日产高清| 欧美深夜福利视频| 大同县| 日韩精品成人无码AV片| 亚洲精品无码日韩国产不卡av| 亚洲av无码成人专区| 久久精品国产亚洲一区二区| 国产自产拍精品视频免费看| 亚洲午夜无码久久yy6080| 亚洲精品乱码久久久久久不卡| 天天摸天天做天天爽| 人妻系列无码专区久久五月天 | 久久久99无码一区| 日韩精品少妇无码受不了| 国产一区二区三区草莓av| 亚洲一道一本快点视频| 国产成人午夜福利精品| 成年女人永久免费看片| 国产一级淫片a免费播放口| 麻豆AV免费网站| 99热这里都是国产精品| 夜夜爽77777妓女免费看| 四虎成人精品国产永久免费| 亚洲精品黄网在线观看| dvd碟片欧美| 国产AV激情久久无码天堂| 八宿县| 亚洲人成网站www| 粉嫩国产白浆在线观看| 免费人成视频欧美|