亚洲аv天堂无码,久久aⅴ无码一区二区三区,96免费精品视频在线观看,国产2021精品视频免费播放,国产喷水在线观看,奇米影视久久777中文字幕 ,日韩在线免费,91spa国产无码

      News Analysis: Turkey not expected to target Syria's Manbij following U.S. warnings

      Source: Xinhua| 2018-01-31 21:52:26|Editor: Lifang
      Video PlayerClose

      ISTANBUL, Jan. 31 (Xinhua) -- Turkey is not expected to expand its ongoing military operation in Syria to target the U.S.-backed Kurdish militia in Manbij, so to avoid the risk of a military conflict with the U.S., analysts said.

      Turkey would not take such a move since it cannot run the risk of a clash with the U.S., given the balance of military power and current circumstances, Cahit Armagan Dilek, head of the Ankara-based 21st Century Turkey Institute, told Xinhua.

      Turkish troops, backed by the rebel Free Syrian Army, are fighting in Afrin in northwestern Syria in "Operation Olive Branch" launched on Jan. 20 to drive out the Kurdish militia, known as the People's Protection Units (YPG).

      Ankara sees the YPG as the Syrian offshoot of the outlawed Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) which has been fighting for an autonomous Kurdistan in Turkey's predominantly Kurdish southeast.

      After Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan vowed to target Manbij to the east of Afrin in the next move, Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu on Saturday asked U.S. troops to withdraw from the town immediately.

      In response, Joseph Votel, commander of the U.S. Central Command, vowed on Sunday that the U.S. was not considering withdrawing its troops from Manbij.

      U.S. President Donald Trump, in a phone call with Erdogan last Wednesday, also warned about the risk of a possible clash between the two NATO allies if Turkish troops refuse to limit its operation in Syria.

      Hasan Koni, a professor of public international law at Istanbul Kultur University, said that both sides may be bluffing in a sort of chicken game to see who would finally back away.

      Ankara has long been angry at Washington over its continued arming of the Kurdish militia, which has carved out three autonomous cantons during the Syrian war, with one in Afrin and the other two on the eastern part of the Euphrates River.

      Noting that Erdogan lately said the Turkish army would advance on Idlib, Dilek said the Turkish leader may indicate that the Turkish troops will not target Manbij as planned.

      "God willing, we will advance on Idlib," Erdogan said unexpectedly on Saturday. Idlib, which borders Afrin, is largely under the control of radical Islamist rebel groups.

      Turkish forces have set up several observation posts to monitor a ceasefire in Idlib based on a deal with Russia and Iran, under which four deescalation zones were established inside Syria.

      Despite the tensions in his ties with the U.S., Koni said Erdogan may still be thinking about possible cooperation with Washington.

      Erdogan said last week that Ankara was hopeful for cooperation with the U.S. in the ongoing Afrin operation, which Turkey describes as a move against terrorism.

      "That means Erdogan still keeps the hope of working with the U.S.," said Koni, who did not completely rule out a Turkish military operation against Manbij on the grounds that the Turkish government may act unpredictably.

      Turkey changed partners on the Syrian theatre in 2016 after which it has been mainly cooperating with Russia and Iran, staunch supporters of the Syrian government, instead of the United States.

      Ankara has often accused Washington of not keeping its promise to withdraw the YPG from Manbij, about 130 km east of Afrin.

      Noting that Votel takes orders directly from the White House, Dilek said his remarks about the U.S. refusal to withdraw troops from Manbij should be seen as Trump's answer to Erdogan.

      In response to a question on whether the U.S. is concerned about an armed confrontation with the Turkish army in Syria, a Pentagon spokesman said Monday that measures were being taken to prevent such an eventuality and that Turkey knows where the U.S. forces are.

      Another Pentagon spokesman said the only U.S. partner in Manbij is the Manbij Military Council, with 60 percent of its members being the Arabs and the remaining 40 percent the Kurds.

      Ankara argues, however, that the YPG is the dominating force within the U.S.-backed militia in Syria. The Pentagon is aiming to nullify Turkey's demand by creating the impression that local people are governing themselves in Manbij and that the YPG is not in charge, said Dilek.

      Koni, like many others in Turkey, believes that Turkey may be seeking to carve out a Sunni area along the Syrian-Turkish border for the Free Syrian Army to rule.

      Turkey sees the emergence of a YPG-controlled belt along its border as a major national security threat, fearing such an entity would set a precedent for its own nearly 20 million Kurds.

      Maintaining it is now almost too late and risky to settle the issue militarily, Dilek suggested that Turkey work out a way of neutralizing the YPG threat without risking an armed confrontation with the U.S.

      TOP STORIES
      EDITOR’S CHOICE
      MOST VIEWED
      EXPLORE XINHUANET
      010020070750000000000000011100001369398251
      主站蜘蛛池模板: 日本久久精品免费播放| 国产丝袜精品丝袜一区二区| 丰满少妇高潮在线观看| 日韩精品一区二区三区中文9| 玩弄极品少妇被弄到高潮| 久久精品国产亚洲av麻豆毛片 | 亚洲午夜久久久影院伊人| 91极品尤物在线观看播放| 亚洲欧美日韩一区二区三区在线| 久久人人做人人妻人人玩精品va| 亚洲欧美日韩国产综合一区二区| 99久久精品免费看国产| 久久九九精品国产免费看小说 | 日本一区二区三区视频一| 国产97人人超碰cao蜜芽prom| 国产一区二区三区亚洲天堂| 亚洲国产精品国自产电影| 夫妻一起自拍内射小视频| 淮阳县| 99久久精品一区二区三区蜜臀| 亚洲都市校园激情另类| 欧美日韩一二三区高在线| 少妇无码AV无码专区| 精品一区二区三区av天堂| 年轻漂亮的人妻被公侵犯bd免费版| 国产成人精品高清在线电影| 国产H片无码不卡在线视频| 亚洲女精品一区二区三区| 国产精品美女一级在线观看| 宁国市| 丰满熟妇人妻av无码区 | 日韩久久久久久久久久免费| 国产精品3p视频| 国产av无码专区亚洲av手机麻豆 | 一本大道久久精品一本大道久久| 精品久久精品久久精品九九| 秋霞无码一区二区| 内射毛片内射国产夫妻| 中国人妻沙发上喷白将av| 亚洲精品第一国产综合麻豆| 国产成人自拍视频在线免费|