亚洲аv天堂无码,久久aⅴ无码一区二区三区,96免费精品视频在线观看,国产2021精品视频免费播放,国产喷水在线观看,奇米影视久久777中文字幕 ,日韩在线免费,91spa国产无码

      Feature: Greeks look into causes of deadly wildfire

      Source: Xinhua| 2018-07-26 21:56:56|Editor: xuxin
      Video PlayerClose

      By Maria Spiliopoulou

      ATHENS, July 26 (Xinhua) -- Following the shock and agony, Greeks are looking into the causes of one of the deadliest tragedies to hit the country in over a decade.

      At least 83 lives were lost, 187 people were injured and a yet unclear number of people were missing by Thursday, after a wildfire swept on Monday through coastal settlements, 30 kilometers east of Athens, according to the latest official count.

      As rain fell on Thursday helping firefighters to extinguish the last flames, but also hampering efforts to trace survivors, policy makers, experts and ordinary citizens were debating over the factors which contributed to the catastrophe and measures to avert future tragedies caused by wildfires or floods.

      What happened at Mati and Neos Voutzas this week was "a tragedy waiting to happen" for several years, locals such as Fotis Provatas, former vice mayor of the City of Athens, told Xinhua.

      They pointed to problematic urban planning which blocked the quick escape of thousands of people to the sea and lack of emergency preparedness.

      The town plan in Mati acted as a "death trap", Professor of dynamic tectonics and applied geology Efthymios Lekkas told local SKAI TV.

      "It was the extreme weather phenomenon, the wind gusts, the speed of the fire, the forest that had not been cleared, the morphology of the terrain that helped its rapid advance, but the decisive factor was the layout of the buildings and roads that trapped people," he said.

      It was a plan that included roads that led to dead ends, to cliffs above the sea, or fenced properties, he explained.

      The most alarming fact highlighted in the debate was that Mati and Neos Voutzas were the rule and not the exception in seaside towns across Greece.

      Very few Greek towns were built in an appropriate way and it was now a question of what could be done in all the areas that had been developed in the last four or five decades, with multiple violations of town planning rules, Professor Lekkas stressed.

      Transport and Infrastructure Minister Christos Spirtzis announced on Thursday a survey of building permits in Mati.

      Exceptional conditions with gusts of wind that reached record speeds of up to 120 kilometers per hour were at least partly to blame for the devastation inflicted by the fire, the head of the National Observatory of Athens and Professor of astronomy Manolis Pleionis told Greek national news agency AMNA.

      But mainly it was chronic "mistakes and oversights" Costas Synolakis, Professor of natural hazards at the Technical University of Crete's School of Environmental Engineering, commented in "Kathimerini" (Daily) newspaper.

      "Monday's fires raged out of control, raising the question of whether the initial response was inadequate. The response time to any fire, whether in a city or a forest, is critical," Professor Synolakis noted.

      "As we stressed in an older study conducted with Georgios Karagiannis at the Technical University of Crete, understanding the situation, gauging the resources required and assessing the mobilization time are the biggest challenges in any disaster response," Synolakis wrote.

      "The announcement of a wildfire in a well-known high-risk area should have sounded the alarm for the instant deployment of more firefighting resources before the fire spread...

      "The fire should not be allowed to reach people's yards before they are ordered to abandon their homes. Greece has only a handful of areas that have carried out civil protection drills," the Greek expert underlined.

      The government has implied that in Mati's case there was a deliberate arson plan. The fire started in a forest of particularly flammable pine trees on Mountain Penteli as strong winds blew in the area.

      Penteli Mayor Dimitris Stergiou suggested another scenario when speaking to local media on Thursday -- that a cut Public Power Corporation cable started the deadly wildfire.

      Stergiou told "in-gr" news portal that he was on the scene just minutes after the fire broke out.

      He said he spotted a cut cable from the Public Power Corporation's outdated electricity network and alerted the Fire Service. "I suspect that this is what started the fire. It exploded like an atomic bomb," Stergiou said.

      TOP STORIES
      EDITOR’S CHOICE
      MOST VIEWED
      EXPLORE XINHUANET
      010020070750000000000000011100001373502471
      主站蜘蛛池模板: 久久久久久久久毛片精品| 久久久影院亚洲精品| 亚洲 欧美 中文 日韩欧美| 化德县| 无码人妻精品一区二区三区下载| 无码天堂亚洲国产av麻豆 | 青青草99久久精品国产综合| 久久免费少妇高潮免费| 亚洲亚洲网站三级片在线| 亚洲A∨无码国产精品久久网| 五月一区二区久久综合天堂| av一区二区三区亚洲| 久久久久国产一级毛片高清版A| 久久人妻少妇偷人精品综合桃色 | 日韩少妇无码一区二区免费视频| 女优av福利在线观看| 青青草无码国产亚洲| 国产偷国产偷亚洲欧美高清| 999久久久免费精品国产牛牛| 国产无av码在线观看| 精品视频不卡免费观看| 亚洲精品精品日本日本| 中文字幕无线精品亚洲乱码一区| 国产精品乱子乱xxxx| 精品一区二区三区av天堂| 亚洲色欲色欲www成人网| 日韩亚洲国产高清免费视频| 少妇bbb搡bbbb搡bbbb| 免费无码又爽又刺激成人| 国产精品视频一区二区三区,| 国产av夜夜欢一区二区三区| 最新手机国产在线小视频| 9l久久午夜精品一区二区| 五月天婷婷在线视频| 亚洲欧美日韩二三区在线| 精品99在线黑丝袜| 日韩av一区二区三区在线播放 | 精品一区二区三区乱码中文| 国产肥白大熟妇bbbb| 人妻无码∧V一区二区| 成人自拍视频国产一区|