亚洲аv天堂无码,久久aⅴ无码一区二区三区,96免费精品视频在线观看,国产2021精品视频免费播放,国产喷水在线观看,奇米影视久久777中文字幕 ,日韩在线免费,91spa国产无码

      Spotlight: U.S. troop withdrawal from Syria draws mixed responses

      Source: Xinhua| 2018-12-20 19:57:40|Editor: xuxin
      Video PlayerClose

      WASHINGTON, Dec. 19 (Xinhua) -- The Trump administration announced Wednesday that it has started returning U.S. troops home from Syria after claiming a victory in the fight against the Islamic State (IS), declining to provide more details on the exit timetable.

      The move drew mixed reactions at home and abroad, complicating the Syrian situation and leaving U.S. military presence in Iraq and Afghanistan in doubt.

      SURPRISE, NO SURPRISE

      "We have started returning United States troops home as we transition to the next phase of this campaign," said White House Spokesperson Sarah Sanders in a statement on Wednesday morning, claiming that America has "defeated the territorial caliphate."

      The White House announcement caught many people off guard.

      "It's a surprise to me," Brookings Institution senior fellow Michael O'Hanlon told Xinhua.

      "I've never seen a decision like this since I've been here, 12 years, where nothing is communicated in advance. And all of a sudden this type of massive decision takes place," Bob Corker, chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, told U.S. media. "It's caught everybody off guard."

      But the decision did not come out of nowhere as U.S. President Donald Trump "always doubted the Syria mission even more," O'Hanlon noted.

      Over the past months, Trump has reiterated his intention of bringing American troops back from Syria, claiming that the costly U.S. military presence in the Middle East has brought "nothing, except death and destruction."

      However, the Pentagon and U.S. State Department officials have voiced concern on different occasions that a much longer-term effort was necessary to fully defeat the militant group of the IS.

      Brett McGurk, the U.S. envoy to the coalition fighting IS, said in a speech last week that "even as the end of the physical caliphate is clearly now coming into sight, the end of ISIS (IS) will be a much more long-term initiative."

      "Nobody is declaring a mission accomplished," McGurk said.

      MIXED RESPONSES

      Trump's decision to pull U.S. forces out of Syria has been questioned as well as hailed at home and abroad.

      Senior Republican Senator Lindsey Graham warned of "devastating consequences" for U.S. troops quitting Syria.

      "An American withdrawal at this time would be a big win for ISIS, Iran, Bashar al Assad of Syria, and Russia," the lawmaker from the state of South Carolina said in a statement on Wednesday.

      "Both the Trump and Obama Administrations in Syria went far beyond the congressionally authorized use of force to go after terrorists... I am pleased (Trump) is bringing our troops home," said Democratic Congressman Ted Lieu in a tweet.

      Russian Foreign Ministry Spokesman Maria Zakharova said on Wednesday that the U.S. decision creates good prospects for a political solution in that Arab country.

      "I strongly disagree. It has morphed into other forms of extremism and the threat is very much alive," tweeted British Defense Minister Tobias Ellwood, following Trump claiming U.S. victory over IS on Twitter.

      POWER PLAY CONTINUES

      After the announcement from the White House, whether there will be a full U.S. withdrawal from Syria has been questioned.

      Brookings Institution senior fellow Darrell West said he believes that special forces and air power likely will remain there to safeguard American interests.

      "Trump wants the public to see the Syria campaign as an American victory over ISIS. That will allow him to claim credit for a military gain," West told Xinhua. "But he (Trump) can't go too far with a withdrawal without providing a major opportunity for other countries to fill the void."

      The U.S. decision came as Turkey is planning to renew a military campaign against the Kurdish militia in eastern Euphrates, which has been relying on Washington in its operations against militants in the last IS-held pocket in the area.

      Kurdish leaders said on Wednesday if the United States pulled out from the region, it would be a stab in the back for the Kurdish groups, according to a report from a London-based watchdog.

      "If the U.S. trip wire is removed, the Turks, Syrian regime forces, their Iranian allies, the latter two backed by Russian airpower, will close in on the remaining territory held by the rebels and Syrian Kurds," Wayne White, former deputy director of the Middle East Intelligence Office at the State Department, told Xinhua.

      The Trump administration's decision has thrown its Syria policy into chaos and also called into question America's commitment to stabilizing Iraq and Afghanistan, observed Kori Schake, deputy director-general of the International Institute for Strategic Studies, in an article published in The Atlantic.

      "In the immediate future, all eyes will be on the details of the implementation of his (Trump's) decision as well as on the Turkish-Syrian border," said Bulent Aliriza, a senior associate at the Center for Strategic and International Studies, a Washington-based think tank.

      TOP STORIES
      EDITOR’S CHOICE
      MOST VIEWED
      EXPLORE XINHUANET
      010020070750000000000000011100001376875861
      主站蜘蛛池模板: 国产一区二区三区小说| 亚洲成人一区二区av| 国内精品国产三级国产av另类| 亚洲国产精品国自产拍av在线| 国产精品美女白浆喷水| 国产精品自产拍在线观看免费| 哟男哟女视频八区| 美乳丰满人妻无码视频| 蜜臀AⅤ永久无码精品| 久久精品国产亚洲不AV麻豆| 91中文人妻丝袜乱一区三区| 超清中文乱码字幕在线| 91福利国产在线观看网站| 国产福利一区视频| 国产精品亚洲二区亚瑟| 亚洲天天综合色制服丝袜在线| 精品人妻一区二区三区蜜桃| 亚洲第一区在线观看| 酷客免费影院| 日本高清色惰www在线视频| 盘山县| 亚洲精品AⅤ无码精品丝袜无码| 精品人妻中文字幕av| 无码任你躁久久久久久| 久天啪天天久久99久孕妇| 91久久精品无码人妻系列| 2020国产成人精品免费视频| 午夜精品成人一区二区| 音影先锋色天堂av电影妓女久久| a在线免费| 久久毛片基地| 国产裸体歌舞一区二区| 人妻少妇被猛烈进入中文字 | 91久久精品无码人妻系列| 欧美猛少妇色XXXXX猛叫| 国产高清在线观看av片麻豆| 中文字幕国产精品中文字幕 | 国产成人综合久久三区| 亚洲熟妇无码爱v在线观看| 伊人狠狠色j香婷婷综合| 亚洲精品无人区一区二区三区|